About the Brethren
The Granger Brethren Church is a member of the Unity of Brethren, Unitas Fratrum, that was founded in 1457 in the Kingdom of Bohemia. It is a Protestant denomination that predates the Lutheran reformation. Inspiration orginated in the preaching and martyrdom of Jan (John) Hus whose diligent studies of the Scriptures and influential clerical leaders of his day convinced him that the Roman Catholic Church had departed from the teachings of the New Testament. He was a professor and popular preacher across the Bohemian and Moravian lands. His heroic witnessing for the truth inspired many followers. He devoted a large part of his time to writing both in Czech and Latin and for this contribution to the Czech language he was called "the father of his native tongue". For his objections and outspokeness, Jan Hus was burned at the stake on July 6, 1415.
Persecution of the Hus followers began soon after his death and continued well into the 19th century. The people were given edicts of either renouncing their evangelical faith or leaving the country. Burdened by these mandates, the Brethren were forced to worship in secret. The longing for freedom of religion and the search for a true Christian life eventually drove the Brethren to leave their homeland and begin to establish settlements in America. As early as 1848, the Brethren began to emigrate to Texas through the influences of Josef Bergman and Josef Lesikar who first brought settlers to Austin County. It is believed that the first Czech Protestant worship service conducted in Texas occurred in 1855 in Fayetteville. The first congregation of the Czech-Moravian Brethren in Texas was organized in 1864 in Wesely.
Adapted from the "Unity of the Brethren in Texas (1855-1966), Unity of the Brethren; (1970)
For more detailed history of the Brethren Church and its teachings, select this link